Thursday, May 15, 2008

Booty Wins in America's Next Top Model - Cycle 10


After watching the season finale last night, I can honestly say I'm happy with the end result! Finally curves seemed to be making a comeback in the fashion world (on reality tv anyways).

20 year old student, Whitney Thompson from Atlantic Beach, Florida claimed the prize - a management deal with Elite Model Management; a $100,000 contract with cosmetics company CoverGirl; and a cover story and six-page fashion spread in an issue of Seventeen magazine, after a grueling cycle of sharing a household with ’stick thin’ wannabe’s and catty personalities.

I, myself modelled for Elite Models while in High School. Needless to say however, never in my life would I have thought they would be supporting the crowning of a 'full figured' model and taking her on as one of their own.

Being a stick-thin, awkward teenager, I was 'discovered'(not really) by the so-called 'Canada scout extrodinaire', Elmer Olsen, while shopping in my local Kitchener mall when I was just 15 years old. I ended up signing with the agency and modelling in mainly fashion shows, all the while having the agency constantly tell me my hips were too wide and my lips were too thin. At 5'10 and 118 pounds, I was hardly oozing the fat. And while modelling at such a young age and during such an awkward time in my life did provide me with some self esteem, it also provided extra insecurities I didn't need. Not once did I see curvey women gracing their walls. They didn't seem to want anything to do with anyone over the age of 18 and over 120 pounds.


I just am so happy Whitney came into the competition proclaiming, ”I have breasts, I have hips, I have a butt — and I am so proud of those things. I am here and I am me. I’m not going to change myself.” And she certainly didn't change!

Finding herself in the top three, among Anya Kop, a beautiful tall blond waif from Hawaii and Fatima Siad, tall and exotic from Somalia, Whitney remained true to herself, focusing on her goal and not allowing her weight or anyone else to bring her down. Luckily the two remaining in the end were Anya and Whitney. Lovely Anya who thought Whitney was beautiful when she cried, was nothing but genuine. The remaining two seemed such a tough decision, I was convinced they would have selected two.

After a strut down the Versace (we’re talking Donatella Versace!) runway in Rome, Anya looking like a true model and Whitney revealing her curves in a pink number a la Victoria Secret look-alike-model, the judges finalized their difficult decision.


I am quite satisfied with this season. Not only did it let the public know Elite Model Management is actually willing to take on a ‘plus size model’ but it’s ok to go into a competition like this and just be yourself and try your best. Good things can only come when you have a positive outlook - no matter what the cards may look like at first glance.

No comments: