Sunday, March 30, 2008

Maro - Not Tomorrow


I went to the resto-lounge club, Maro, last night with a few friends. We weren't there for dinner so I can't comment on that. We were there for drinks and to have a good time. All I was looking for was a good time and a good crowd. I got neither.


Walking into the revamped old warehouse in the Liberty village/Parkdale area of Toronto, you are guided into the lower level banquet room. Very stylish and interesting videos of tropical swimming fish line the walls. Tables and cushioned benches enhance what is supposed to be part of the dining experience. Go up to the upper level and you are then taken into a larger venue with more large screen videos of tropical swimming fish, modern white couches and an array of tables for dining. We arrived at 10:30p.m. and at first glance, I perceived the area to be an upper class dimmed cafeteria. Rectangular tables are lined parallel to one another and the exposed kitchen is in the back. Or the place looked like it could be one of those Gentlemen Clubs for Japanese businessmen?


Unfortunately all seating was reserved for bottle service patrons only. Because we chose not to take part in the $300 bottle service, we were left standing, balancing our glasses of wine while being consistantly jostled by Maro's 'finest' young ladies skimpering about in butt skimming dresses, three-inch heels and hair extensions. If I knew this was a pre-requisite of fitting in, I would have worn my Tiffany Amber Thiesen Look Alike dress from the Saved By the Bell Days. Needless to say, I apparently wasn't drunk enough to shrug off the pretentious attitude found in most of the patrons and staff.


One thing I will point out is the music was great, although it would have been nice to have the option of a real dance floor. The $10 cover charge isn't over the top but not worth my hour stay. If you're looking for a night of showing off your newly purchased Louis Vuitton bag, standing in one place and making your best bitch impression the entire night, this place may be for you! Otherwise, if you are looking for a more relaxed night of dancing, dressing up and enjoying a chic atmosphere, there are so many other, more established, venues in Toronto. No Maro for me tomorrow! That's for sure.

No comments: