Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Ex Factor

Most people have an ex boyfriend or ex girlfriend. How else do you realize when you have found 'the one' if you haven't tested out other models?

Still, the 'ex factor' continues to follow me around even though I have settled down and will be saying my vows to the man of my dreams in just a few months.

Just yesterday, I came into work and checked my personal email (yes I'm bad like that), only to find a message from my ex boyfriend, someone I haven't talked to in a couple of years, asking how I was doing and that he was thinking of me. My initial reaction was shock. Why, after this long, had he wanted to contact me? Why would he think I would want to know how he is doing?

It's funny to hear from this particular ex at such a turning point in my life. This person was quite a large part of my life in a good way and a bad way. We had quite the tumultuous relationship. I had dated him for several years (five years) and was very much attached to him. Our break up was one of the most stressful, heartbreaking experiences I have ever gone through and it took a lot out of me to finally cut ties with him. When I met my current fiance, all I had gone through with my ex boyfriend went out the window. What I thought that relationship had stood for no longer mattered. I had finally found true love. It's true you know when you have found The One. It just happens really and I am very fortunate.

What I am thinking now is if this is a test. Some weird Universe-playing-mind-games-with-me test. Why would this person try to reach out to me now? Yes I do tend to read more into things than I should. It's just the nature of me! But really when I heard from him there were no long lost feelings, no need or want to be in contact with him. Yes there was curiosity but that was it. In fact, what it made me confirm was just how happy and lucky I am to have my fiance. I slept better last night than I have slept for months.

Because I feel so comfortable with my current situation, I did email back only to let him know have moved on. I do wish 'the ex' well but at the same time I don't need to know anything else about him as I am very content with my situation now. I'm looking ahead now and am seeing such a bright future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you will ever even see this, but if for some reason you do, I sincerely apologize for this coming in such close proximity to your wedding -- it certainly was not my intention. I am relocating out of the province next week, and before I left there were loose ends I had to tie up here, and this really has been at the top of my list.

I had always hoped to see you around the city so you could know the sincerity in my words, but I am deeply sorry for my behaviour when things fell apart between us. It is something I am very ashamed of, and something that will stay with me forever, and I deserved everything I ended up with (or didn't end up with -- friends, family, etc)

Anyway, I wish you nothing but a lifetime of happiness in your future together with your fiance, and again my apologies for this coming now.

All the best,

Andrew